These crypto assets could be bought or exchanged via the SwissBorg app:
Bitcoin is a digital asset used for secure transfers of value anywhere in the world. It is an open network which is managed by its users and not controlled or issued by any bank or government. The value of a Bitcoin is not tied to the value of any other currency. Bitcoin is traded for dollars, euros, francs, and other currencies in real time 24/7, therefore, the price can fluctuate depending on the demand for buying or selling Bitcoin.
Ethereum tokens (ether or ETH) are the digital assets that exist on top of the Ethereum blockchain. It functions like cash but ether is not exactly a digital asset. It should rather be considered as “fuel” (gas) for the applications on the Ethereum network.
The CHSB token, the official SwissBorg token, is a multi-utility token used to participate in the SwissBorg ecosystem. It is the key to the SwissBorg platform.
USDC is a stablecoin which is pegged to the US dollar. It is managed by Circle and Coinbase. USD coin is backed by fully reserved assets, you can redeem 1 USDC for US$1.00.
PAX Gold is backed by actual gold vaults in London, which render it redeemable for physical LBMA accredited gold (London Good Delivery gold bar, stored in Brink’s gold vaults).
Enjin is building a holistic ecosystem of blockchain products that allow game developers and studios to utilize tokenized digital assets as part of their acquisition, retention, engagement and monetization strategies. Enjin’s ecosystem is fueled by ENJ, a utility token used to directly back the value of Enjin-powered blockchain assets.
BNB was launched as an ERC20 token through an initial coin offering (ICO) in 2017. In April 2019, the ERC20 tokens were swapped with BEP2 BNB on a 1:1 ratio, and are no longer hosted on Ethereum.
One of BNB’s main utilities is as an exchange token, allowing Binance users to pay fees with as much as a 50% discount on trades.
Often referred to as ETHLend, the Lend token is the native token of Aave following the winding-up of operations by ETHLend in January this 2020. Although it has kept the name, the new Aave version of Lend is a step up from the previous one.
Briefly, the ERC-20 $LEND tokens are used for fee reductions in addition to providing governing rights at a base-code level for future protocol updates. The tokens are burned from fees accrued form the Aave protocol, suggesting that tokens could be worth more over time. The protocol went live in January 2020, supporting 16 different assets including 5 stablecoins. In June 2020, Aave reported having reached as much as $100 million in market cap.
The Kyber Network (KNC) is an Ethereum-based decentralised exchange (DEX) protocol that allows the “instant exchange and conversion of digital assets with high liquidity.” The platform is similar to the 0x project, but instead performs all of its transactions on the blockchain.
- Kyber Network is a decentralised-exchange protocol.
- It allows peer-to-peer trading without exchange custodianship.
- Kyber Network’s liquidity pool is decentralised to minimise monopoly risks.
Compound Finance is a decentralised finance (DeFi) protocol that allows users to deposit, borrow and earn interest on cryptocurrencies.
- COMP is a DeFi money market protocol
- Holders of COMP have voting rights on the future of the protocol
- Interest is distributed to borrowers and lenders across the token’s liquid markets
- The token is traded on various high-profile exchanges
Ren is a network of virtual computers that powers interoperability for decentralised applications which enables cross-chain lending, exchanges collateralisation and more.
- Ren allows for interoperability between DeFi protocols
- RenVM directly enhances liquidity on Ethereum
- DeFi applications can tap into the protocol’s liquidity across chains
- RenVM attempts to make DeFi a mainstream crypto reality
Similar to USDC, DAI is a stablecoin that is pegged to the Dollar, with an exchange rate that replicates US Dollar valuations against other fiat currencies. Unlike other stablecoins that are directly backed by USD, DAI is backed by cryptocurrency collaterals that can publicly be seen on the Ethereum blockchain.
- DAI is a USD-pegged decentralised stablecoin built on Ethereum
- The decentralised coin was created by MakerDAO (MKR)
- One Dai is worth ~$1 until it is taken out of circulation
- Dai can be traded freely as any other ERC-20 token
- Anyone with an Ethereum wallet can send DAI to another ETH wallet
Uniswap is the most popular decentralised exchange currently in existence. Anyone can list a token or provide liquidity to the platform without registering or going through a ‘Know Your Client’ process, as is the case with centralised exchanges.
The main use-case for Uniswap is the fact that it is a viable alternative to centralised exchanges, but the trade-offs between decentralised and centralised exchanges are palpable given the technology’s infancy.
Uniswap is designed to function as a public trading platform without fees or middlemen. Unlike most exchanges that match buyers and sellers to determine prices and execute traders, Uniswap uses a math equation and liquidity pools in an open free marketplace of tokens.
- Uniswap is an Ethereum-based exchange that allows anyone to exchange ERC20 tokens.
- Uniswap V2 launched in May 2020, enabling direct token swaps and adding several technical improvements.
- In September 2020, Uniswap launched its UNI governance token with an airdrop to anyone who had used the protocol before September 1st.
XRP is a digital asset built for payments. It is the native digital asset on the XRP Ledger - an open source, permissionless and decentralised blockchain technology that can settle transactions in 3-5 seconds.
XRP can be sent directly without needing a central intermediary, making it a convenient instrument in bridging two different currencies quickly and efficiently. It offers financial institutions the fastest, most reliable option for sourcing liquidity on-demand.
At the time of writing, XRP is the seventh largest cryptocurrency by market capitalisation and is traded on over 140 exchanges worldwide.
- Fast, Efficient Consensus Algorithm: The XRP Ledger's consensus algorithm settles transactions in 3-5 seconds, processing at a throughput of up to 1500 transactions per second. These properties put XRP at least an order of magnitude ahead of other top digital assets.
- Finite XRP Supply: When the XRP Ledger began, 100 billion XRP were created, and no more XRP will ever be created. (Each XRP is subdivisible down to 6 decimal places, for a grand total of 100 quadrillion (10^17) drops of XRP.) The available supply of XRP decreases slowly over time as small amounts are destroyed to pay transaction costs.
- Responsible Software Governance: A team of full-time, world-class developers at Ripple maintain and continually improve the XRP Ledger's underlying software. Ripple acts as a steward for the technology and an advocate for its interests, and builds constructive relationships with governments and financial institutions worldwide.
- Secure, Adaptable Cryptography: The XRP Ledger relies on industry standard digital signature systems like ECDSA (the same scheme used by Bitcoin) but also supports modern, efficient algorithms like Ed25519. The extensible nature of the XRP Ledger's software makes it possible to add and disable algorithms as the state of the art in cryptography advances.
- Modern Features for Smart Contracts: Features like Escrow, Checks, and Payment Channels support cutting-edge financial applications including the Interledger Protocol. This toolbox of advanced features comes with safety features like a process for amending the network and separate checks against invariant constraints.
- On-Ledger Decentralised Exchange: In addition to all the features that make XRP useful on its own, the XRP Ledger also has a fully-functional accounting system for tracking and trading obligations denominated in any way users want, and an exchange built into the protocol. The XRP Ledger can settle long, cross-currency payment paths and exchanges of multiple currencies in atomic transactions, bridging gaps of trust with XRP.
US Dollar Tether (USDT) is a stablecoin designed for each token to be represented by an underlying US dollar.
The stablecoin has been issued on various blockchains, namely Omni, Ethereum, Tron, EOS, Liquid as well as Algorand.
- USDT is a 1:1 representation of the US Dollar.
- Stablecoins are a bridge between traditional and modern finance.
- USDT lives mainly on the Ethereum blockchain, but exists on others as well.
- USDT offers price stability.
Previously known as the Matic Network, Polygon (MATIC) is an interoperability layer two scaling solution for building Ethereum-compatible blockchains. The blockchain uses the Matic token for governance, staking and for gas fees via a proof of stake (PoS) consensus mechanism.
- Polygon is a layer-2 scaling Ethereum solution
- Polygon’s network uses the MATIC utility token
- The MATIC token is highly liquid with a market cap of $11,811,743,589 at the time of writing
- Polygon aims to become interoperable between blockchains
Euro Tether (EURt) is a Euro-pegged stablecoin supported by Tether, the company that operates the USD Tether (USDT). The firm operates like a platform and issues blockchain-based tokens that are linked to the prices of government monies like the Euro, the Dollar and the Chinese Yuan. The coin mirrors the Euro via a decentralised network, providing a means to exchange value in crypto using a familiar accounting unit.
- The stablecoin is a 1:1 representation of the Euro
- EURt is issued by Tether, which is in turn operated by Bitfinex
- EURt lives mainly on the Ethereum blockchain, but is deployed on others too
Polkadot (DOT) is purveyed as a flagship project of the Web3 Foundation, a Swiss authority that is attempting to create a functional and user-friendly decentralised world wide web. In its most basic form, it is designed to connect various specialised blockchains into a single unified network.
As such, the focus is interoperability, in particular economic and transactional scalability - an issue that has plagued the industry for over a decade.
- Polkadot is a multi-chain network that aims to connect different specialised blockchains into a single unified network
- Blockchains that connect with Polkadot work in parallel as so-called ‘parachains’
- This enables them to access the Polkadot network’s Proof of Stake validation of transactions and security
Audius (AUDIO) is a cryptocurrency that monetises music streaming and makes it accessible to artists and consumers alike. Using the AUDIO token, the platform aims to change how artists and fans interact, providing a service similar to Spotify and Soundcloud, with the added benefit of empowering musicians to create unique fan experiences.
- Audius competes with Spotify and Soundcloud
- AUDIO is the native utility token for the platform
- The protocol fits in the category of IPFS blockchains
- 1 billion tokens were pre-mined in 2020
- AUDIO reached an all time high of $4.99 in March 2021
Basic Attention Token (BAT) is an ad-exchange program that is built into the Brave web browser. It is a decentralised, open-source utility token based on the Ethereum blockchain with the goal of becoming integrated into other mainstream web browsers.
The token is designed to reward users for their attention while simultaneously providing advertisers with a better return on advertisement spending.
- BAT is an ERC-20 token
- Nearly all 1.5 billion tokens have been distributed
- The coin is secured via Proof of Work (PoW)
- Three parties; users, publishers and advertisers make up the Brave ecosystem
- BAT is integrated with the Brave browser, which aims to take on Web 2.0 browsers
The Chiliz token (CHZ) is a digital currency used in the world of sports and entertainment platforms. Specifically, it is a utility token that started out on the Ethereum blockchain and is used as the official cryptocurrency of the Socios.com platform.
- CHZ is required to participate in Fan Token Offerings and Locker Rooms (the initial sale of Fan Tokens)
- The purpose of Fan Tokens is to be fan-oriented, allowing spectators to become active contributors with their sports clubs
- Fan Tokens can be traded on the Chiliz in-house exchange against CHZ
- The token is highly liquid and traded on some of the biggest exchanges in crypto, ranked 62 on CoinMarketCap at the time of publishing
Curve (CRV) Finance is a decentralised exchange that uses automated market-making (AMM) protocols. The project focuses on stable assets or assets that exchange hands for similar value. This design allows users to trade with less price slippage than users could experience on other decentralised exchanges like Uniswap or Sushiswap.
- CRV is the native token of Curve Finance and is used for governance, fees and payments
- The protocol is comparable to Uniswap, but has some key differences
- CRV has the highest amount of locked liquidity
Web 3.0 is an early stage emerging idea where blockchain plays a vital role. In its basic form, The Graph (GRT) is a protocol that organises blockchain data in order for it to be usable in this budding ecosystem. Anyone can build and publish open application programming interfaces (APIs) using the network. These are called sub-graphs.
Specifically, The Graph is a service for retrieving (querying) information from networks like Ethereum and the Interplanetary File System (IPFS), both of which power decentralised finance (DeFi) and Web 3.0. In other words, it is a decentralised oracle that provides blockchain data and is often compared to Chainlink (LINK).
To date, over 3,000 subgraphs have been deployed by thousands of developers, for DApps such as Uniswap, Synthetix, Aragon, AAVE, Gnosis, Balancer, Livepeer, DAOstack, Decentraland and others. The network’s usage has grown significantly and boasts 4 billion monthly queries today.
- The Graph organises blockchain data for Web 3.0, similar to Chainlink
- The network processes queries for Uniswap, Coingecko, Synthetix and other protocols
- Price feeds, volume and liquidity data are among the use cases for GRT
- Three operators and consumers make up The Graph network
Many crypto projects have taken it upon themselves to solve various pain points in the cryptocurrency industry. Chainlink is one such project. Chainlink (LINK) is a decentralised oracle network and a cryptocurrency that enables the bridge from external data to smart contracts that run on top of a blockchain.
With its wide use cases, it is at the forefront of trustworthy data interoperability between blockchains.
- Chainlink makes external data available on-chain
- Chainlink provides accurate data price feed by using multiple data providers called oracles
- Chainlink smart contracts are provably reliable
- Node operators in the Chainlink ecosystem can run the data infrastructure required for the success of blockchains while earning revenue in the form of LINK tokens
- Powering a wide range of decentralised price feed oracles, Chainlink powers widely used DApps and DeFi applications that secure billions in value like AAVE, Synthetix, Ampleforth and more
Occam Finance (OCC) forms part of an emerging crypto-financial suite tailored to provide solutions for the Cardano blockchain. The protocol is designed to be an all-in-one Cardano DeFi ecosystem that attempts to leverage the benefits of decentralisation and transparency while maintaining compliance with regulatory bodies.
- OccamFi is primarily a method to raise capital via an IDO
- The token ticket is OCC
- OCC has a circulating supply of 15,217,681
- The protocol uses Solidity smart contracts, eventually moving to Plutus
Utrust (UTK) is a digital payment blockchain platform that combines features of traditional online payment systems and blockchain technology in an attempt to offer the best solutions from both worlds.
The company streamlines the exchange between merchants and consumers by leveraging the power of blockchain and making payments cheaper, faster and safer. Using this model, there is no need for massive operational costs or conversion fees, and this is supposed to be reflected in consumer costs as a consequence of UTK’s tokenomics.
The product makers the option of accepting and making cryptocurrency payments available to everyone who wants to venture outside of traditional finance.
In addition, Utrust processes all the payments on-chain, while companies like PayPal are closed database systems that claim to process cryptocurrencies but don’t operate on the blockchain itself.
- UTK is an ERC-20 token, secured by the Ethereum blockchain
- It is a highly liquid token with a market cap of $191,193,171 at the time of publishing
- Some UTK is burned every time a transaction happens
- The company is competing with PayPal
Ultra (UTK) describes itself as a blockchain-based PC-gaming entertainment platform, hosting a variety of industry services that benefit both gamers and game developers.
The ecosystem is essentially an open marketplace where users can resell their games and items while also earning money via participation in the Ultra network. Meanwhile, game developers can benefit from new revenue models, software development kits and blockchain tools that underpin game features such as item distribution.UTK is an ERC-20 token, secured by the Ethereum blockchain.
Ultra is an all-in-one gaming platform designed for gamers and game developers and powered by Ultra’s blockchain
UOS is the native utility token for the platform
Every item, game, or piece of downloadable content is a non-fungible token (NFT)
Ultra is a company that aims to disrupt the computer gaming industry and is partnered with the likes of Ubisoft, AMD, Atari, The Sandbox, Theta, and more
Decentraland (MANA) is a virtual reality platform that runs on the Ethereum blockchain. In the Decentraland universe, users can create, experience and monetise content and applications.
For all intents and purposes, the virtual world is part of the metaverse crypto sub-sector, and is centred around purchasing digital land which can be built upon and monetised.
- Decentraland is a virtual reality game that forms part of the metaverse.
- MANA is the native ERC-20 crypto used in-game.
- LAND tokens are ERC-721 NFTs which represent digital plots of land.
Sandbox (SAND) is the native cryptocurrency of the Sandbox ecosystem. Technically, Sandbox itself is a gaming platform deployed on the Ethereum network, where users can create, build, buy and sell digital assets in the form of a game.
To do this, the platform take a hybrid approach as a decentralised autonomous organisation (DAO) that uses non-fungible tokens (NFTs), thereby creating a platform for a thriving gaming community. Decentraland is a virtual reality game that forms part of the metaverse.
SAND is the native utility token of The Sandbox.
Sandbox is a gaming ecosystem that incorporates blockchain economical models within it.
SAND token is fungible and treated as money, while LAND is non-fungible and considered as property.
30% of the total supply is in circulation as of December 2021.
Aavegotchi (GHST) is a non-fungible token for decentralised-finance which runs on the Aave protocol. It is part of the growing world of NFT gaming and combines various aspects of crypto and DeFi with a fresh blockchain gaming experience.
In simple terms, Aavegotchis are game avatars which can be used as DeFi collateral in order to get staking rewards.
Aavegotchi is a cryptoKitties-style NFT game with DeFi built into it.
The project brings three crypto sub sectors under one roof.
GHST is the native token for the blockchain game.
Players are rewarded through various mechanisms for participating in the game.
The circulating supply is above 70 million tokens.
There is no token supply cap for GHST.
MIMO or Parallel Protocol, is the first governance token allowing users to mint PAR (parallel token), a Euro-pegged stablecoin. With features like PAR, MIMO aims to enable users to avoid intermediaries and their attached costs.
The project’s goal is to simplify the relationship people have with crypto, focusing on the European market.
MIMO is a decentralised DeFi platform built around a Euro token.
PAR is the Euro-pegged decentralised stable token of the platform.
Users can stay in crypto while benefiting from MIMO liquidity and PAR stability.